- Burgas Today
Operational Programme "Regional Development 2007 - 2013"
Project "Redevelopment of key public spaces with the purpose of social integration and sustained development of urban environment in Burgas Municipality"
Total project cost: 10 364 242, 12BGN (5 298 926EURO)
Duration: 18 months (from 16.07.2010 to 16.01.2012)
Main goals of the project:
Improvement in the quality of Burgas's urban environment as a main tool for achieving social integration and sustained and balanced urban development with the means of:
1. Provision of suitable, attractive and available infrastructure in Burgas city centre, providing the development of social and cultural life of the citizens.
2. Constructing a balanced system of publicly available spaces, fulfilling the needs of every social group in the city
3. Development of the internal potential of the urban environment to help with solving problems such as: ecology, social problems and city transportation.
1. Reconstructed and renovated pedestrian area ‘Alexandrovska' str from ‘Tsaritsa Yoana' square to ‘Troykata' square, as well as "Sv. sv Kiril I Metodiy' str.
2. Reconstructed ‘General Gurko' str and ‘Adam Mitzkevich' str
3. Renovated and newly grassed the new part of the Sea Garden
4. Fully reconstructed a decorative wall "The Wall of Tales" (Stena na Prikazkite) in the Sea garden as well as the pond near it.
5. Renovated and reconstructed the playing ground "Dom Nadezhda" in the residential area of "Republika" UPI 2, kv. 172
6. Renovated and reconstructed a public space between boulevard "Ivan Vazov", "Khan Krum" str and "Tsar Petar" str
Project "Improvements In the educational infrastructure in Burgas Municipality"
Targeted sites: GLS "Gyote" and ELS "Geo Milev", VSCAG "Koliyo Ficheto" ,"Konstantin Fotinov" and "Ivan Vazov",Kindergarden "Hans Kristian Andersen"
Budget: 5 773 119,93BGN(2 954 336,40EURO)
Duration: 24 months (February 2009 - February 2011)
The main goal of the project is the development of modern and effective educational infrastructure supporting economic prosperity and social integration in the region of Burgas.
1. Completed renovation and repairs in 7 schools (forementioned), including introduction of new energy efficiency measures, internal repairs, renewal of electric, plumbing and heating instalations.
2. Provided easy to use and helpful environment for disabled people in the said schools with the construction of elevators and ramps.
3. Provided equipment for cabinets including the IT cabinets.
Project "Improvements of the cultural infrastructure in the Municipality of Burgas"
Targeted sites: Cultural center "Morskoto Kazino" in the Sea Garden, outdoor scene "Ohliuva" also in the Sea Garden and a Youth Cultural Center in Burgas
Budget: 4 267 603,73 BGN (2 182 751,29EURO)
Duration: 24 months
The main goal of the project is to develop modern and effective cultural infrastructure supporting the balanced and sustained development of the agglomeration area of Burgas.
1. Copmlete reconstruction of the Concert hall in Burgas's Youth Culture Center, including improvements in the heating and air conditioning of the hall, as well as internal repairs with the purpose of modernizing the hall.
2. Provided easy to use and helpful environment for disabled people in the hall with the construction of ramps.
3. Fully updated both visually and internally the cultural center "Morskoto Kazino" as well as the public outdoor scene "Ohliuva". The repairs include: construction of plumbing, electric, fire-safe, various security and video surveillance systems, as well as AC systems and the provision of easy to use and helpful environment for disabled people for both objects.
4. The three building are equipped with advanced sound systems as well as presentational equipment .
Project "Strengthening the landslide on the slope behind "Leten Teatar", Burgas in the Sea Garden"
Budget: 991 172,45 BGN (506 766,65EURO)
Duration: 20 months
The main goal of the project is to improve the environment in the area as well as prevention and maximum limitation of the risks involving loss of human life and damages on the public property in the area by the construction of strengthening of small infrastructural equipment that will help prevent the landslides in this specific risk factor area.
1. The landslide situated in the area behind "Leten Teatar", Burgas has been strengthened . The length of the strengthened area is 3057m (more than 3 km)
2. The damages caused by the landslides in the previous years are repaired. Damaged and repaired infrastructure include: lane network and sites as well as walls build for the purpose of preventing landslides. Total length of the repaired infrastructure is 1237m
Oprerationl Programme "Administrative Capacity 2007 - 2013"
Project "Development and establishment of a successful mechanism for public-private partnerships in the Municipality of Burgas and the Southeastern region"
Budget: 515 000 BGN (263 309,20 EURO)
Duration: 10.02.2009 - 10.05.2010
The main goal of the project is the transformation of the municipal and central administration into a real and effective business partner by creating and applying clear, visible and accessible rules for successful public-private partnerships(PPP).
1. Created a work group for preparation and adoption of the mechanism of PPP.
2. Analysis of PPP in the EU and Bulgaria
3. Analysis of public services, as well as of the sectors and sites suitable for PPP
4. A sociological study on the public and business opinions regarding PPP
5. A map of objects suitable for PPP in the Municipality of Burgas
6. Training of personnel in the Municipality of Burgas regarding the application of PPP
7. Developed a pilot model of PPP for a Sport Complex "Slaveikov", Burgas.
Operational Programme "Environment 2007 - 2013"
Project: Construction of sewage in the district of "Dolno Ezerovo" and a pressure collector to treatment plant
Budget: 6 078 903,49 BGN (3 108 021,77 EURO)
Duration: December 2009 - March 2011
The concrete goal of the project is the reducing of the disparities in the proportion of the population of Burgas and it's districts that is connected to the sewage system of the city as well as the achievement of compliance with directive 91/271/EIO by providing with proper discharge of waste waters.
1. Constructed a sewage system 9876m in length for the district of "Dolno Ezerovo"
2. Constructed and fully operational channel pump station with 2 pumps for the district of "Dolno Ezerovo"
3. Constructed a pressure collector to the city's treatment plant 3150m in length.
EEA Financial Mechanism
Project "Mobile laboratory for integrated monitoring and control over the quality of air in the city of Burgas"
Budget: 737 861 BGN (377 230, 00 EURO)
Duration: June 2009 - April 2011
1. Bought and installed a mobile laboratory for control and monitoring over the quality of air, in the form of a small bus (van), that offers the quality of air to be measured by 8 distinct characteristics.
2. Increase in public awareness alongside training of personnel.
3. Created an internet web site for the project (http://www.air.burgas.bg) giving access to the ability to monitor in real-time the results given by the mobile laboratory, as well as the ability to monitor air quality.
4. Expert training for the personnel in the mobile laboratory and know-how given by the Norwegians regarding their experience in monitoring air quality.
5. Educational material being developed and given away freely to the public.
Project "Beautiful Bulgaria” Measure 02-02 “Urgent aid of Social Houses”
Project "Renovation of public home for care for elderly people "Tsveta i Anka Varbanovi"
Budget: 326 986,63 BGN (167 185, 60 EUR)
Co-financing from the Municipality: 68 839,20 BGN (35 196, 92 EUR)
Social significance of the project: The home for care for elderly people "Tsveta I Anka Varbanovi" is the only of its kind social home on the territory of the Municipality of Burgas, that offers services for psychically and physically healthy elderly people. This is why it is of utmost importance for the Municipality of Burgas to support it.
The proper functioning and the fact that it provides adequate domestic and social conditions is very important to the Municipality.
In the framework of the project, the Municipality of Burgas is to provide the following repair works and services:
1. Repair of the façade
2. Interior repair works
3. Repairs of both the water and heat installations
4. Repairs of the electric installation
5. Repair of the outdoor spaces belonging to the house.
Project “Beautiful Bulgaria”, Measure 02-01 “Sheltered House”
Project "Current repair work of "the sheltered house for people with mental disabilities" and its yard area in the district of "Akacii"
Budget: 109 170,00 BGN (55 817, 73 EUR)
Co-financing of Burgas Municipality: 21 835,00 BGN (11 164, 05 EUR)
The sheltered house for people with mental disabilities is situated in the district of "Akacii" in the city of Burgas and it consists of one floored massive building along with an open terrace. The services of project "Shelter house" is aimed at providing independence, protection and effective social integration for adult women with mild and moderate mental disabilities. Presently there are a total of 7 women in the building, who are provided with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room for general activities, psychosocial work and labor therapy. The efforts of the team of 5 professionals who work with the users of this social service are aimed at:
- Support , assistance, effective protection and social integration of the people using the services provided by the sheltered house
- Carrying out activities, to achieve social integration, and the rehabilitation of social skills and habits
- Provision of a fulfilled and independent life in the right environment, close to the family one.
Type of construction works:
1. The construction and shaping of an yard area with the purpose of carrying out labor therapeutic activities with the users of this social service - construction and shaping of alleys, construction of a portal and a BESEDKA ZA PO4IVKA (summer house???)
2. Repair works and renovation of the building - insulation, plaster and latex paint on the walls, replacement of the doors, manufacture and installation of insect screens for doors and windows, bathroom repairs, supplement and installation of sanitary appliances, repairs of the electric installation and electric dashboard, etc.
Project “Improvements of the cosmetic appearance and functionality of the administrative building of the Municipality of Burgas – 26 Aleksandrovska str."
The project Improvements of the cosmetic appearance and functionality of the administrative building of the Municipality of Burgas – 26 Aleksandrovska str.”, financed by “Beautiful Bulgaria” project is successfully completed
1. Replacement of the existing woodework windows with PVC ones
2. Provision and installation of new, energy-effective lighting in corridors and stairways.
3. Provision and installation of new chandeliers and wall lamps in the Conference Hall
Project "Treatment plant for wastewater- Burgas,district of "Meden Rudnik"
The construction of a treatment plant for wastewater in the district of "Meden Rudnik", Burgas, financed by ISPA, measure 2002 BG 16 P PE 009 has been successfully completed.
The current capacity of the plant is allowing for the treatment of wastewater for 48 900 people and an estimation for 2022 - 56 850 peeple. The treatment plant is designed and built with tertiary and it allows treatment of wastewater to a degree meeting the requirements of the European directive for discharge of wastewaters into aquatic receptors, designated as sensitive areas.
The TPW Burgas is one of the 36 TPW's included in the National Programme for Priority Construction of Urban wastewater treatment plants in populated area with more than 10 000 inhabitants.
BULGARIA–TURKEY IPA CROSS-BORDER PROGRAMME
"GREEN CORRIDORS" - PROMOTION OF CULTURAL, NATURAL AND HISTORICAL HERITAGE IN THE BORDER REGION OF BURGAS AND KIRKLARELI
Budget: 76 506 €
Start of the project: June 2011 Duration: 12 months.
Project Objectives: The overall project's objectives of the project presented are as follows:
1. Contributing to balanced and sustainable development of the cross border region through identifying and development of local potentials
2. Improving effective collaboration between different stakeholders on both sides of the border for sustainable management of natural, historical and cultural resources
3. Improving the quality of life of local communities through creating innovative cross border integrated products of common interest.
Introduction of an innovative joint approach to management of natural, historical and cultural resources contributing to the improvement of quality of life - The major result of the project will be the creation of a network of "green corridors" comprising key elements of the natural, cultural and historical heritage of the cross border region. The network will serve as a platform for prioritization and development of future projects benefitting local communities.
Project Activities:The project activities include:
- Preparation of baseline studies on natural, historical and cultural potential of both regions - Burgas and Kirklareli;
- Implementation of expert forums for generating ideas about potential "green corridors" in both Burgas and Kirklareli areas and their sustainable management;
- Development of concept and technical design of a pilot "green" route on Burgas territory;
- Preparation and producement of an interactive guide promoting the concept of "green corridors" in Burgas and Kirklareli regions;
- Organization of a "Green corridors - practical solution for environmental friendly tourism" International conference.
Project Results:Developed and promoted good practices in coordinated management of the environment in the border area, which will facilitate the sustainable development of the tourist sector;
New approaches and principles introduced for sustainable utilization of natural, cultural and historical resources in the cross border region;
Promotion of environmentally friendly "green" mobility;
Stakeholders on both sides of the border are acting together to promote innovative forms for development of the urban territory;
Improved capacity for cross border cooperation in the field of environmental protection, cultural and historical гheritage preservation and tourism product development.
- Representatives of local authorities from the cross-border region;
- NGOs working in the field of environmental protection; tourism organizations and agencies;
Final project beneficiaries:
- Local citizens and communities;
- Tourists and visitors of Burgas and Kirklareli;
- business at local, regional and national level.
Project "Joining Forces" (Metropolitan governance and competitiveness of European cities), financed by Urbact II
Budget of Burgas Municipality: 45 000 EURO
The Municipality of Burgas is a partner with 7 European cities from Poland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and the Czech Republic.
In the framework of the project a local workforce was formed in the Municipality of Burgas which was to help with the works regarding planning and strategizing for urban development by the means of transfer of know-how and good European practices.
Participation was taken in three workshops with international partners on the topics of: "Transportation", "Public-Private Partnerships", "Ecological problems"
Intelligent Energy - Europe (IEE)
Project "Sustainable NOW - European Sustainable Energy Communities - Effective Integrated Local Energy Action Today"
Budget of Burgas Municipality: 86 791 EUR
Co- financing: 21 698 EUR
Duration: September 2008 - August 2011
•Develop capacity to strengthen the role of local and provincial governments as political and administrative bodies guiding communities in the sustainable energy transition, overcoming non-technical barriers and creating tangible results for sustainability.
•Create instruments that build on state-of-the-art Local Energy Action Plan (LEAP) developments to support local governments in decision-making for integrated energy management, climate protection actions and securing local energy supply.
•Make the results widely available through the European Sustainable Cities and Towns Campaign.
•Guide LEAP implementation in selected learning communities.
Culture Programme (2007-2013)
Project "Innovative Handicraft"
Budget of Burgas Municopality: 57 536 EURO
Duration: December 2008 - May 2010
Objective: Certain conditions for innovations and studies to be created in order to encourage the economic and cultural growth of handicrafts. During the project's implementation craftsmen and artist were selected to have their works included in international art previews, organized with regard to the project.
Youth In Action Programme
"Think green, think young" is a project funded by the European Union within the program "Youth in Action".
Project leader: Regione Lombardia, Italy.
Partners: Agenzia InnovA21, FLA and Municipality of Desio for Italy; Municipality of Bourgas and BAPCI for Bulgaria; Municipality of Radnice and CSOP for Czech Republic.
60 young people (15-25 years old), coming from Bulgaria, Czech Republic and Italy took part in the Conference of the Parties -Young (COP-Y), which was realized in Desio (Lombardy, Italy), from 10th to 16th of July 2011.
The COP-Y week started from the example of the United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP): the 16th edition was realized in Cancun, Mexico, in September 2010 and the next one will be in Durban, South Africa, in December 2011.
The 60 young "Green Ambassadors" met together for a week to discuss and elaborate some Action Plans, as an answer to Climate Change and Sustainable Development challenges. These issues are two important priorities for the European Union.
Before the meeting in Desio the three national groups attended a local training course; after the COP-Y they were asked to implement the shared action plans in their own countries, trying to persuade other people to change their lifestyle and to adopt a more sustainable way of thinking.